Built by Rajendra Cholan I (1012 A.D.) the
presiding diety is lord sri Ramanatha Eswarar.
The legend found in sanskrit language and in
grantha character. Written on the periphery of
the seal is as follows, Rajad-rajanya Makuta
sreni-ratnesu sasanam Etad Rajendra cholasya
The chola temple of Narasimma swamy
koil Built by Rajaraja chola 1 (985–1014 A.D).
8,000 Samanaras lived in this village. Another
temple Narasimma Perumal Koil also found here.
Gingee Fort :
Gingee is famous for its Gingee
Fort, a popular tourist attraction. The Fort in
Gingee was built by the Chola dynasty in 13th
Century. In 1638, Gingee came under the control
of Bijapur Sultanate from Vijayanagar. In 1677,
it was under the control of Maratha king Shivaji.
In 1690, it changed to be under Mughal, under
whose rule it became the headquarters of Arcot.
It changed hands to the French in 1750, and then
to the British in 1762. In the 18th century, it
was occupied again by the French for 11 years.
During this time, many sculptural aspects of
Gingee were shifted to Pondicherry by the
Kamalakkanni Amman Temple :
This small shrine
dedicated to Kamalakkani Amman (Goddess Durga),
a local deity, is found on the way to the
citadel on Rajagiri Hill. It contains a
sacrificial altar and well-preserved mural
paintings belonging to the Nayak period.
Arulmigu Subramaniya Swami Temple located on
a small hillock at Mailam is a famous place of
pilgrimage. It is about 32 kms from Viluppuram
on the Pondicherry - Thindivanam road. The
Panguni Uthiram festival held in March - April
fascinates a large crowd of devotes from all
over Tamil Nadu.
Mel Chittamur :
Which is 20 kms of Thindivanam and 10
kms east of Gingee. Head quarters of Digambara
sect in Tamilnadu with the JINAKANCHI MATHA
presided over by the Pontiff. Two temples, one
dedicated to Parsvanatha and other known as 'Mailanatha
temple was originally a boulder containing
rock-cut images of Bahubali, Parsvanatha,
Adinatha, Mahavira and Ambika yakshi carved in
the 9th century AD.
A famous Archeological Temple site is
20 kms from Viluppuram and 17 kms from Gingee.
It is a 100 ft hillock, where the Mahendraverma
(I) of Pallava king, (580-630) made a cave
Melmalayanur Temple :
The temple of Angala Parameswari is situated
here. In the inner sanctum there is a snake pit
which is being worshipped. There is a crowd of
devotees on every new moon day. Ph :
It is 16 kms Northwest of Ulundurpet
and 21 kms East of Thirukkoilur. Hillock at the
village contains a Jaina cave and two temples
dedicated to Parsvanatha and Chanraprabha. Cave
served as the monastery of the monks of
Virasangha in the 8th - 9th century A.D. Rich
collection of bronze images found in the temple.
Annual festival (Jan-Feb) celebrated on a grand
scale and attended by Jains from all over
Melnaariyappanoor Church :
Very old famous church is situated in Chennai
- Salem highway and 8 km from Chinna Salem. The
church is constructed by the Kunchaan, a devotee
of St. Anthoniyar.
The temple of Lord Ranganatha, the tutelary
god of Raja Desingh is on a hill top. It is a
good specimen of south Indian type of rock - cut
shrine. The idol of Lord Ranganatha, in a
reclining posture, measures 24 ft, in length
which together with the inner sanctorum, is
carved out of a single rock.
In and around this village there are a
number of petrified tree trunks called fossil
wood. There is also an ancient temple dedicated
to Lord Shiva, dating back to the Chola period.
Ph : 0413-2688949.
24 Theerthangarargal :
It is 2 kms north of Gingee town. The hillock
on the western side of the road has two jaina
caverns and a huge boulder containing sculptures
of all the 24 Theerthankaras in the 9th Century
style. It is only place where all the 24
Theerthankaras are shown in a single large
composition. A open rock nearby was the place
where monk Chandranandi observed 57 days of
fasting and died (5th-6th century A.D).
A village called
Pillayar-kuppam near Ulundurpet taluk
some 20 kms away from Viluppuram
attracts the media in full strength
every year. It is here the temple of
Aravaani’s also known as God’s children
is situated. The temple also known as
Koothandavar temple wears a festive look
ten days before the Full Monday of the
month of Chithrai (Apirl/May). On the
day of ‘Pournami’ almost all the
aravaanis gather in this place also
known as ‘Koovaham’ and tie their
nuptial knot and the occasion is marked
by song, dance and gaiety. The next day
the ‘Thaali’ or ‘Mangala Suthra’ worn
the previous days severed and the
bangles worn are also broken to mark the
widow-hood and they return home.